The ongoing streaming wars have increased focus on the value of entertainment franchises and how they can drive reboots, revivals, and remakes to help stand out in a crowded field. Knowing which entertainment franchises are worth development is invaluable information.
Using E-Score Brand we developed a custom brand equity index to discover the top entertainment franchises across generational age groups. Not only does it identify the stronger franchises, but can easily be broken down by key demographic groups:
Top Entertainment Franchises Among Insta-Gens (ages 13-24)
- Along with Marvel, Friends is one of the top entertainment franchises among Insta-Gen, millennials, and Gen X making HBO Max’s planned reunion special of the beloved sitcom an almost-guaranteed success.
- Disney is a heavy favorite among Insta-Gens as it owns the top three franchises and makes up nearly half of the top 20 list.
- Dr. Seuss is also a top franchise among Insta-Gens, millennials and Gen X making it a true crossover franchise.
Top Entertainment Franchises Among Millennials
- The Princess Bride is the top entertainment franchise among millennials and has gathered a lot of steam after filmmaker Jason Reitman enlisted the help of celebrities to film themselves doing scenes from the film to raise funds for the World Central Kitchen charity during the current pandemic.
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is highly favored by millennials and could be of interest to many networks and streaming services as the trailer for Michael Cooper’s proposed re-telling of the 90’s sitcom has reached over 6 million views on YouTube.
- Marvel continues to be a heavyweight across all generations and with plenty of sequels and spin-offs scheduled for the next few years, it looks to remain top-of-mind for the foreseeable future.
Top Entertainment Franchises Among Gen X
- Looney Tunes ranks third in top entertainment franchises among Gen X and sits in the top five among Insta-Gens and millennials. The highly anticipated reboot of Space Jam featuring LeBron James is sure to find success as the 90-year-old franchise continues to be top-of-mind across all age groups. E-Score previously highlighted the value of the Looney Tunes franchise here.
- Star Trek has a larger affinity among Gen X compared to the younger generations. Its season 3 premiere date has been announced by CBS All Access which is a perfect fit as the streaming service has a slightly older median age viewer than its streaming competitors.
How We Calculated the Brand Equity Index
The power of E-Score Brand allows the ability to create a custom index based on any combination of more than 60 brand traits. With this, we set out to create a broad measure of brand equity that captured not only awareness and appeal but factors we felt would help pinpoint potentially successful entertainment franchises. These are the factors that went into our brand equity index:
- Like A Lot
- One of My Favorites
- Strong/Appealing with people I know (Agree Strongly/Somewhat)
- Would recommend to friends/family (Agree Strongly/Somewhat)
For a modest subscription cost, E-Score Brand allows subscribers to access all this information along with the ability to create custom indexes and calculate the value of a wide range of entertainment properties. See more examples here or contact us to learn how.