Streaming services like Apple TV Plus, Disney Plus, Peacock, and HBO Max are preparing for a streaming war showdown. To lure new subscribers, media heavyweights have a not-so-secret weapon in the attraction of top entertainment franchises. With so many choices to choose from, what entertainment brands are tried and true with high brand equity among streamers?
To get a sense of value, we looked at the perception of a range of licensed entertainment franchises among streamers of video content. Media franchises were then ranked by our custom Brand Equity Index which takes into account a number of proprietary attributes and measures including appeal, engagement, advocacy, and future consumption. A higher index indicates greater likelihood of brand value; for streaming services, these are the franchises most likely to draw viewers.
- It’s no magic that the Wizarding World franchise created by J.K. Rowling tops the list among streamers who tend to be young and fans of Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts
- Disney franchises dominate the top 10 with Indiana Jones, The Lion King, Star Wars, Wreck-It Ralph and Marvel superheroes
- With the hitman John Wick nabbing a spot in the top 3, it’s no surprise to see a spinoff series (The Continental) coming to Starz, where viewers will get to see more of this franchise and its characters on the smaller screen
Select Entertainment Franchises Among Netflix Streamers
While many big studios are retaining their classic shows like The Office (NBCUniversal – Peacock) and Friends (WarnerMedia – HBO Max) for their own streaming services, not all franchises are off limits such as Seinfeld – a WarnerMedia owned property – which will be on Netflix in 2021. What other franchises can fill the holes left behind on Netflix?
Here’s a look at some other entertainment brands that could be on Netflix’s radar if not already.
- Deadpool and Venom may be two comic characters that can make their way to Netflix with the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Justice League heroes likely landing on Disney Plus and HBO Max respectively
- Some sorcery may be needed to land the Wizarding World and Fantastic Beasts franchises on Netflix as WarnerMedia controls the reins and may keep them for HBO Max. Perhaps a spinoff or animation series?
- Coming to Netflix in 2020, a new animated series will delight fans of the Jurassic World franchise that revolves around a group of teens in a new adventure called Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous.
Feel free to utilize these infographics in your social shares or other uses. To download, simply click the images and right-click, or pull the full sized images.