Top Streaming Originals
With streaming platforms estimated to spend upwards of $13 billion on original video content in 2017, and recent wins at the Emmys and Golden Globes, it’s obvious that original streaming content is a force to be reckoned with. E-Score Programs can not only take an in-depth look at streaming programs and the attributes that drive their success, but can also compare them “apples-to-apples” against broadcast and cable shows.
*click image to enlarge
- Although The Handmaid’s Tale gets the awards, and Stranger Things has been a hot topic of conversation, Dear White People is the highest-rated streaming original with an Excellent score of 75%.
- Netflix continues to be the dominant streaming service when it comes to original programming holding 17 of the top 20 spots on our list.
- Newcomers are certainly welcome as nine of the top twenty shows are only in their first season while House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are the only veteran shows with five seasons each.
- Multiple award winner, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel will be available in our database soon. One of Amazon’s other shows, The Grand Tour, would’ve made the top 10 if it wasn’t for its low Awareness.
Most Talked About Shows
Last year, we looked at which streaming programs were driving the conversation in popular culture. This year, we’re expanding our Most Talked About list to include both cable and broadcast programming to see how all these shows stack up against one another.
*click image to enlarge
- Netflix leads all other networks with the most shows that viewers Talked About. Their hit, Stranger Things, leads all shows with 64%, besting HBO’s widely popular Game of Thrones.
- Cable networks have more shows that viewers Talked About than broadcast networks. Of those 12 cable network shows, 9 of them are ad-supported.
- The only broadcast network to make the Talked About list is ABC with The Bachelor at #19.
The Handmaid’s Tale – A Closer Look
The Handmaid’s Tale took this year’s Golden Globe for Best Television Series – Drama, and its lead actress, Elisabeth Moss, took the award for Best Actress – Television Series Drama. Using a combination of E-Score Programs, E-Score Celebrity, and E-Score Character, we are able to take a closer look at the show itself as well as Elisabeth Moss and her character, Offred.
- 86% of viewers say they Would Miss this show if it was gone. 70% say they Make a Special Effort to Watch this show. The Handmaid’s Tale ranks #1 among streaming originals for these two metrics.
- After her Golden Globe victory, Elisabeth Moss will most likely see her E-Score (75) and Awareness (13%) rise alongside her success.
- The character Offred’s top attributes are Brave (57%) and Intelligent (48%). Offred has an Appeal rating of 66% compared to the average of 58% for streaming original characters.
Viewing of streaming originals continues to rise as well as the quality of original programming yet there is very little data out there comparable to broadcast and cable. E-Score Programs is unique in that it offers an apples-to-apples comparison between streaming originals and both broadcast and cable shows revealing valuable insights such as Dear White People topping the Rated Excellent list despite the success of Stranger Things. Our data finally allows for programs produced by streaming services to finally be compared equally to traditional programming.
Feel free to utilize these infographics in your social shares or other uses. To download, simply click the images and right-click, or pull the full sized images.