Impact From Bingeing
Networks can rest assured that bingeing isn’t having a negative effect on their live viewership. Results show the effect varies from show to show, but overall, a selection of ad-supported shows from last year’s E-Score Programs Holiday Bingeing List showed an uptick in post-holiday viewing.
- On average, these shows saw an increase of five percentage points in total viewership (originals plus reruns) following the holiday bingeing period (25% to 29%).
- CBS’ Elementary (37%) had the highest surge of 13 points. Quantico nearly doubled going from 9% to 17%, while New Girl and Empire experienced slight declines.
- There was no change in the average Awareness or Make a Special Effort to Watch scores for the shows on the bingeing list. However, at the individual show level, there were mixed results. Configure the interactive chart above to see many more specific details.
Influencer Recommended New Shows
Revisiting our Holiday Bingeing List, we again used E-Score Programs to look at shows that have the highest levels of recommendation from TV Influentials. This year we focus on newer shows that may have gone under the radar.
- Black Mirror started on UK’s Channel 4. The show’s anthology structure allowed it to be picked up and extended by Netflix in 2016. Since then, it has won two Emmys and tops our list with a 68% Recommended Show
- NBC’s Chicago Med is the top ad-supported show on our Recommended Show list and only in its third season.
- Although teen-targeted Riverdale doesn’t have a very high Recommended Show score, it has the highest Planned Ahead to Watch ratings among ad-supported programs on our list – a notable attribute for advertisers.
- Riverdale’s top attributes are Engaging (62%), Care About Character(s) (52%), and Look Forward to Watch (48%) – all of which are above average and good indicators for a show only on its second season.
- Riverdale also has an above average 67% Make a Special Effort when looking at its Future Viewing Intention.
- Summing up the appeal of the show, one viewer describes it as “Archie characters with a cool vibe,” while another says the show is “nostalgic, but with a twist.”
While bingeing doesn’t seem to be a threat to live viewing, changing viewer patterns, like bingeing, streaming and social sharing make assessing a program more complicated than simply looking up a rating. E-Score Programs not only goes deep into why and how viewers engage with programs, it also lets you compare streaming, broadcast and cable shows on an apple-to-apples basis.
Feel free to utilize these infographics in your social shares or other uses. To download, simply click the images and right-click, or pull the full sized images.