E-Poll® has gone international! Our newest product, E-Score® Celebrity International allows you to gain access to rich insights on a broad spectrum of celebrities in key international markets. Now you can know exactly what these international markets think of current/ potential talent.
We polled residents in China, the UK, and Brazil, in addition to our extensive US database, about celebrities based on more than 40 attributes. Here’s what we found:
The most Influential celebrities come from varied backgrounds – it’s not intuitive. E-Score Celebrity International data validates who are the most influential celebs in general, and comparatively.
The top 10 list for the most influential celebrities overall is split right down the middle when it comes to men and women. Five men occupy the first 5 spots, led by Tom Hanks who is the most Influential celebrity on the international scene. In fact, he takes the number one spot in all four countries. The next five spots on our list are all occupied by women (Jennifer Lawrence and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson are tied for 10th.)
When we looked at China in particular, the most influential list changes significantly as 90% of the top 10 list are men, with Taylor Swift being the lone woman.
Of all the surveyed markets, Brazil is the most favorable to celebrities in terms of their influence. Every celebrity saw an increase in their Influential score in Brazil, suggesting that Brazilians are more easily influenced by celebrity endorsements.
In stark contrast to the Influential list, the Trend-Setter attribute is dominated by women in music at the top. When looking to push the boundaries and stay on the cutting edge, female musicians are your best options.
The top 5 in this list are all trend setting fashionistas, as each appears in the top 10 of our Stylish list as well (see below). What is interesting is that 4 of the 5 have been very outspoken about several social issues, making them “trend-setters” in multiple arenas.
The lists have a similar feel to each other for most of the countries, with Beyoncé or Taylor Swift taking the top spot, followed by several other singers, athletes, actors and “New Hollywood” actresses. The exception is Brazil where “Old Hollywood” dominates the top 10 with Robert Downey Jr., Tom Hanks, and George Clooney taking the top 3 spots in that order. If you’re looking to gain traction in Brazil, an established Hollywood star appears to be the way to go.
If the goal is to be ahead of the pack in the US or UK, Beyoncé is the biggest trend setter, taking the top spot on the list in both of those countries.
Interestingly, Adele’s Trend-Setter score is higher in the US than her native UK.
Over-Exposed to the World
The threat of over-exposure is very real in global markets just like in the US. With the proliferation of social media, it is much easier for people to keep up with every facet of a celebrity’s life. Several stars are experiencing over-exposure on the international scene. Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, and Cristiano Ronaldo are far more exposed than other celebrities internationally. Whereas these four celebs have Over-Exposed scores in the 20 percentile in multiple international markets, no other person is above 15%.
When looking for a fresh face to pair with your brand or campaign, consider searching for a celebrity in our database with an Over-Exposed attribute score below 5%.
With a positive Appeal rating, average Awareness, and a very low Over-Exposed rating, Idris Elba is a person that can bring a recognizable, but fresh face to a brand or campaign. He has the greatest potential to grow in popularity across all countries.
On the other hand, Miley Cyrus is considered the most over-exposed celebrity in the US, UK, and Brazil. However, in China she is not over-exposed at all. In fact, China is an emerging market for celebrity endorsements as all celebrities have low Over-Exposed scores.
Brazil is an interesting case. Their Over-Exposed ratings are higher than the Total average for all celebrities except four. When we look at individual celebs, it’s interesting that Taylor Swift is considered significantly less over-exposed in Brazil versus the US or UK. In contrast Tom Hanks is slightly more over-exposed in Brazil than any other country.
Other Notable Findings
Total Name/ Image Awareness
- China respondents have lower Awareness of celebrities overall, with significantly lower Awareness of most celebrities compared to those who live in other countries. Leonardo DiCaprio and Cristiano Ronaldo lead other celebrities for awareness in China.
- Across all countries, Leonardo DiCaprio has the highest Awareness. Interestingly, Leonardo DiCaprio’s awareness is highest in Brazil, and is significantly higher in Brazil compared to the US, UK, or China.
- Awareness of Tom Hanks and George Clooney is significantly higher in the UK compared to other countries (including the US).
- Michael Phelps’ Awareness score among Brazilians follows closely behind awareness of Phelps in the US, with more than 4 in 10 respondents who are familiar with him.
Appeal – Like A Lot
- China respondents rate most celebrities significantly lower for Appeal (Like a Lot) compared to respondents in other countries.
- Overall, Tom Hanks, Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, Adele, Hugh Jackman, Robert Downey Jr., and Leonardo DiCaprio lead other celebrities for ratings of Appeal. The Like a Lot rating for Robert Downey Jr. is elevated significantly among respondents from Brazil compared to other countries (40%, vs. a range of 19% to 31%).
- Compared to respondents in other countries, Appeal ratings are elevated among respondents in Brazil for Adele, Hugh Jackman, and Robert Downey Jr.
- Miley Cyrus, Michael Phelps, and Gwyneth Paltrow received the lowest ratings for Like a Lot across all countries.
- The perception that celebrities are Trustworthy is low overall for almost all celebrities. Compared to other celebrities, Tom Hanks receives top ratings for Trustworthy.
- Celebrities who were least likely to be considered Trustworthy include Miley Cyrus, Michael Phelps, and Taylor Swift.
- The perception of Michael Phelps being Trustworthy is lowest in the U.S. but is highest among Brazilians.
- Overall, top celebrities most frequently perceived as being Stylish include Jennifer Lopez, Beyoncé, Charlize Theron, and Jennifer Lawrence.
- The perception of Jennifer Lopez, Beyoncé, Charlize Theron, and Jennifer Lawrence being Stylish is elevated somewhat among US and Brazil respondents compared to those who live in China or the UK.
- Celebrities with lowest perceptions of being Stylish include Michael Phelps, followed by LeBron James, and Tom Hanks.
- From country to country, top celebrities for attractiveness include Jenifer Lopez, followed closely by Charlize Theron, Jennifer Lawrence, and Beyoncé.
- Among Brazilians, ratings of Attractive for Jennifer Lopez and Charlize Theron are very high, and are significantly higher compared to those in other countries.
- Ratings of Attractive for George Clooney are significantly higher among Brazilians compared to those in other countries.
E-Score Celebrity International is the comprehensive tool for researching international sentiments about celebrities. Why limit your evaluation to six or seven attributes, and a potentially brief, short-sighted list? Our more than 40 attributes provide a full picture of international attitudes and opinions of your spokespeople.
An online survey was administered in four different countries (US, UK, China, and Brazil). The same 25 celebrities were evaluated among respondents in each country. 800 respondents ages 13+ within each country received the survey. Half received name only, while the other half received only an image prompt.
Feel free to utilize these infographics in your social shares or other uses. To download, simply click the images and right-click, or pull the full sized images.